[drn-discuss] UKPO consultations

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Sep 30 10:50:31 CDT 2005

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Gavin Hill wrote:
>
>> As this seems to be a good place to flag up issues of
>> mutual concern I wanted to highlight some of the UKPOs
>> upcoming 'consultations'.
>

> [snip]
>
>> Copyright Term
>> http://www.patent.gov.uk/about/ippd/issues/copyrightterm.htm
>> Contact for further information
>

> I find it interesting that the relevant page on the UKPO states:
>
> "We are currently commissioning research into this area to determine the
> optimal term of protection for these works before recommending any
> changes are made."
>
> One wonders who exactly is being commissioned particularly as I have yet
> to meet an economist who thinks retrospective extensions have any
> justification at all.

Interesting to see the recording label Naxos (which AFAIR may publish a
number of out-of-copyright recordings) strongly objecting to longer
recorded rights terms in this submission to an EC consultation last year:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/copyright/review/consultation_en.htm
http://forum.europa.eu.int/Public/irc/markt/markt_consultations/library?l=/copyright_neighbouring/legislation_copyright&vm=detailed&sb=Title

(something I happened just to wander across this afternoon).