[drn-discuss] [Fwd: [fc-uk-discuss] 14+14 copyright petition: sign up and add your testimony]

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Sep 21 08:18:31 CDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [fc-uk-discuss] 14+14 copyright petition: sign up and add your
testimony
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:15:54 +0100
From: Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>
To: UK FreeCulture Discuss List <fc-uk-discuss at lists.okfn.org>

I would like to encourage everyone who wants to and hasn't already to
*sign up to the petition* regarding copyright extensions and a return to
a 14+14 year copyright term via:

http://14plus14.freeculture.org.uk/entry/new

If you have the time you can also add your personal testimony -- it
really adds to the impact even if it is only a sentence or two.

(see http://14plus14.freeculture.org.uk/ for existing submissions)

Given that it seems Mr Purnell, the Minister for Creative Industries, is
currently pushing hard for term extensions this is definitely the time
to make your voice heard. Please note the petition and testimony system
allow you to sign up to the a more limited statement against copyright
extension rather than the full one about a 14+14 term should you so wish.

Please feel free to redistribute this message to any mailing lists you
think might be interested.

Regards,

Rufus Pollock

About the 14+14 Campaign
========================

Copyright terms have been continually extended since they were passed
into English law by the Statute of Queen Anne. As these monopoly rights
have grown, so the public domain has shrunk, greatly reducing our access
to creative works, condemning vast quantities of our culture to
obscurity and disappearance, and limiting the opportunities for future
creators to build upon the works of the past. The 14+14 campaign has a
simple goal: to restore a balance long lost by returning copyright to
its original term as laid down in the Statute of 14 years with the
option of a 14 year renewal.

Home Page: http://www.freeculture.org.uk/campaigns/14plus14/
Petition and Testimony: http://14plus14.freeculture.org.uk/
Sign up: http://14plus14.freeculture.org.uk/entry/new