[ECODP-dev] CKAN release notes for 09.00

John Glover john.glover at okfn.org
Wed Jun 19 08:39:17 UTC 2013

Hello,

Updated release notes (with new commit hashes and a changelog) are given
below.

Regards,
John

----

Release 09.00
=============

Unlike previous releases, the RPM is created by TenForce.
Nothing has been added to the odp Git repository by the OKF.

The CKAN codebase is available at:
https://github.com/okfn/ckan
branch: release-v1.8.1-ecportal
commit hash: 39986dec52ba01b9ce0489c7961bb23d32895a9a

The CKAN EC Portal Extension is available at:
https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-ecportal
branch: master
commit hash: 7d0293d07ac837d4402418a68f8feced04d58738

Note: As this is only a draft of the release notes, both of thesse
commit hashes may change.

Installation
============

* Install the new RPM.

* Upgrade the database for CKAN 1.8.

/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/bin/paster --plugin=ckan db
upgrade -c /applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/conf/ecportal.ini

This command should return:
<date> INFO  [ckan.model] CKAN database version upgraded: 57 -> 59

* Add the database tables for the new search cloud feature.

/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/bin/paster
--plugin=ckanext-ecportal ecportal searchcloud-install-tables -c
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/conf/ecportal.ini

This command should return:
Creating the search_query table ...
done.
Creating the search_popular_latest table ...
done.
Creating the search_popular_approved table ...
done.
Creating the search_query_date index ...
done.

* Import the new translations of the fixed vocabularies.

/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/bin/paster
--plugin=ckanext-ecportal ecportal import-csv-translations -c
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/conf/ecportal.ini

This command does not return anything.

* Make sure that Solr is using the latest schema.xml file from the ckanext
ecportal extension.
This is at:
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/src/ckanext-ecportal/ckanext/ecportal/solr
This can be copied to the solr conf directory:

cp
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/src/ckanext-ecportal/ckanext/ecportal/solr/*
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/solr/solr/conf

* Restart tomcat.

* Restart Apache.

* Rebuild the search index.
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/bin/paster --plugin=ckan
search-index -r rebuild -c
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/conf/ecportal.ini

This command should return:
<date> INFO  [ckan.lib.search] Rebuilding search index...
<date> INFO  [ckan.lib.search] Rebuilding the whole index...
<date> INFO  [ckan.lib.search] Finished rebuilding search index.
<date> INFO  [ckan.lib.search] Commited pending changes on the search index

CRON jobs
---------

* The following should be run to update the list of recently searched terms:

/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/bin/paster
--plugin=ckanext-ecportal ecportal
searchcloud-generate-unapproved-search-list -c
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/conf/ecportal.ini

We recommend running this daily at midnight.

* The following should be run to update the tracking information for the
previous day:

/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/bin/paster --plugin=ckan
tracking update -c /applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/conf/ecportal.ini

We recommend running this daily at 1 minute past midnight.

Database cleanup
----------------

When investigating the issues with the rdf import failing, we noticed that
some database tables had grown quite large and can be cleaned up in this
release.

1. The package_extra_revision table contains data on a lot of old
revisions that are not currently needed. These can be removed with the
following
paster command:

/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/bin/paster
--plugin=ckanext-ecportal ecportal purge-package-extra-revision -c
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/conf/ecportal.ini

This command should return:
<date> WARNI [root] {'revision_rows_deleted': <number of rows>}

This table is in constant use, so this command could be scheduled to be run
regularly. It should not need to be run too frequently however, once every
week or two should be fine.

2. Some unused CKAN extensions (qa and datastorer) were installed in
previous
releases. These have been removed in this release, and so the tables that
they were writing to can now be cleared. To do this, run:

/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/ecportal/bin/paster
--plugin=ckanext-ecportal ecportal purge-task-data -c
/applications/ecodp/users/ecodp/ckan/conf/ecportal.ini

This command should return:
<date> WARNI [root] {'celery_rows_deleted': <number of rows>,
'task_status_rows_deleted': <number of rows>}

The tables cleared by this command should not be used at all with the code
in
this release, so this command will only have to be run once.

Changelog
=========

CKAN Core
---------

* Upgraded to CKAN version 1.8.1.

* Allow search operator behavior to change between matching all terms, any
terms or
  exact phrase.

Security fixes:

* Upgraded repoze.who to version 2.1 so cookies can be marked as "httponly"
and "secure".

* Allow beaker session to be used to store login information, so a user's
session can
  be invalidated as soon as they click "logout".

Bug fixes and performance improvements:

* Speed up search indexing.

* Fixed bug where storage controller and rdf-export expected a different
value to
  be stored in ckan.site_url (one expected the /data root to be present,
  one did not).

CKAN EC Portal Extension
------------------------

* Upgraded extension to work with CKAN 1.8.x.

* Improved sort order for non-ASCII characters in search results.

* Search queries are now logged.

* Add searchcloud feature to home page (cloud of popular search terms).

* Show most viewed datasets (with view counts) on home page.

* Add support for changing the search operator (AND, OR, exact phrase
matching).

* Add "Suggest a dataset" box.

* Add support for additional languages.

* Updated translations (UI and fixed vocabularies).

* Only list publishers that have released datasets (even for logged-in
users) at /publisher.

* Update header logos.

* Update metadata labels on dataset page.

* Some "Additional Information" fields are no longer shown on the resource
page.

* Removed (unused) Javascript relating to DataExplorer from resource page.

* Added paster commands for removing old items from the
package_extra_revision,
  kombu_messages and task_status tables.

Solr
----

* Added a new schema in order to support additional languages.

Other
-----

The follow extensions were removed (as they are not currently used):

* ckanext-archiver
* ckanext-datastorer
* ckanext-qa