[ECODP-dev] Documentation

Darwin Peltan darwin.peltan at okfn.org
Mon Oct 7 16:32:19 UTC 2013

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your email. As discussed previously we expect that 10F will lead
on collating and editing the documentation and we will feed in with
information that can be incorporated where there are specific questions
about CKAN. This is Gavin and Laura's understanding too.

Here's my initial response to the list below.

On 30 September 2013 10:57, Bert Van Nuffelen <
bert.van.nuffelen at tenforce.com> wrote:

> Hi John and Darwin,
>
> as promised a list of documentation efforts
>
> *) Operations Manual:
>      * documentation of the CKAN configuration file

The CKAN configuration file is documented in the CKAN docs here
http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.8/configuration.html and this can be linked
to from the operations manual.

>      * documentation of the CKAN translation process

We will provide some notes on this which you can incorporate in the
operations manual.

     * documentation of the CKAN database management

The CKAN database is a standard Postgres DB so this seems like a general
systems administration area? I think you have created some helper scripts
for some common DB operations as part of the deployment and migration
process so you would be best placed to document this.

     * documentation of the CKAN miscellanous items
>           -- here are items collected around questions PO has/had. Maybe
> some should move to the appropriate section

We have previously provided documentation for any custom functionality. Do
you have any specific questions relating to this?

>      * documentation of the CKAN controlled vocabularies (note I did you
> copied from the google doc as I wanted to have the section covering all
> items.)

This has already been supplied?

> *)  Portal Architecture:
>
>     * Navigation flow chart of the CKAN web interface

10F should document this.

>     * creating/deleteing a tab in CKAN (to match the creation/deletion in
> Drupal)

We will provide some notes

> *) Performance criteria
>      ODP-257: define tests and performance tuning parameters

This query relates to system administration of Tomcat which is outside our
area of expertise and responsibility as previously discussed.

> *) Security
>      description of the different user roles and groups (part of this
> info is already present in the Operations Manual)
>
> > What security is in place for preventing hack & attack (authentication,
> authorization, encryption of passwords in DB, HTTPS connections, captcha,
> architecture separation between key modules… )
>
> > What audit mechanism is in place to trace user access

Again this question is about the architecture of the overall system which
10F. We will give some background on CKAN security to feed into this.

> kind regards,
>
> Bert

Best,

Darwin