[ECODP-dev] Changing order of translations for different languages

Darwin Peltan darwin.peltan at okfn.org
Tue Sep 10 10:16:10 UTC 2013

Dear Agnieszka and Glen,

Agnieszka asked yesterday if we could swap the order of the label and the
value for the view counts in Polish so that the translation that has been
given makes sense.

The recommended approach to resolving this type of issue would be to tweak
or rephrase the translation so that it works for the current ordering
wherever possible. Could this be done in this case?

If there are any situations where this isn't possible then we may be able
to modify that term in Transifex so that it contains both the string and
the variable. This would allow the translators to modify the ordering in
Transifex.

However unfortunately this would change the source term for all languages
so the translation of that specific term would need to be re-entered for
all languages. Hence my recommendation would be to try and change the
translation so that it works with the current ordering if at all possible.

Therefore if you could please look into whether the translations can be
modified as a first step.  We can then advise on the options on a case by
case basis [1] for any remaining problematic terms.

Best,

Darwin

[1] Note that in some instances (e.g. where they are in different HTML
elements) it won't be possible to change the order of the string and
variable.

*Darwin Peltan*

*Project Manager  |  skype: darwinp  |  twitter:
@darwin<http://twitter.com/darwin>
*

*The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>*

*Empowering through Open Knowledge*