[epsi-coord] Topic reports

Tom Kronenburg tom.kronenburg at zenc.nl
Wed Mar 9 08:59:19 GMT 2011

So, so far we have a number. I took the liberty of structuring it. Please add to this list today, so we can take it to the EC tomorrow!

I have added
----------
Pricing/economic 3 & 4
Countries and local 6 & 7 (from previous discussion) 11 (new)
projects 3
----------

LEGAL:
1: OGD/re-use and privacy issues – the relationship between the PSI directive and the directive on the processing of personal data.
2: A study of the results of the reviews of the directive in 2008 and 2010 to have some insights in the developments and remaining complaints
3: A report about the relationship between access to government information as a fundamental right and re-use
4: Copyright & PSI. Review of which member states have copyright exemptions for (certain kinds of) government documents/datasets.

PRICING/ECONOMIC
1: the effect of PSI reuse on information marketplaces: PSI can enable such markets because a new resource is made available to more service providers; but also eliminate vendors of information which is now no longer artificially scarce or protected.
2: the impact of public-private partnerships on PSI (since private entities don't necessarily have an interest in making collected data available for reuse)
3: Case studies: PSI impact on public-private partnerships (where is PSI a prerequisite for public-private partnerships, are there situations in which data only becomes valuable after being combined with private data).
4: Summary of findings of the POPSI study and relevance for ...

COUNTRIES AND LOCAL
1-5: State of Play reports on countries that we hardly hear anything about: Ireland, Belgium, and particularly eastern Europe
6: Datacatalogs across the member states. Quantitative and Qualitative analysis of local and national data catalogs.
7-10: Case studies, why do local OpenData initiatives work, or don't work?
11: Does a country's structure (Federalist, highly local, highly centralized) have a significant impact on the OpenData/PSI reuse practices?

PROJECTS
1:  The relevance of related initiatives for opening up PSI (something has been written about INSPIRE, but there is also Europeana, SEIS, GMES, GEOSS, etc.)
2:  The identification of success factors/major barriers to PSI reuse projects (e.g. privacy impact, scope/scale of data, reliability and/or official authentic status of the data, degree of prior availability, competition from alternative sources, availability of supporting infrastructure (software/APIs), promotional activities, etc). Probably this would be easier after we have some more data in place;
3: Impact of PSI on government service models. Where does Open Data significantly reduce cost in government processes?

Kind regards

Tom Kronenburg

Zenc | Focus op oplossingen
Alexanderstraat 18
2514 JM Den Haag
KvK:  27190312
Tel:  +31 70 3626944 of +31 6 55778353
Fax:  +31 70 3921835

tom.kronenburg at zenc.nl<mailto:tom.kronenburg at zenc.nl>
www.zenc.nl<http://www.zenc.nl>

Op 8 mrt 2011, om 18:55 heeft Hans Graux het volgende geschreven:

Very good ideas. From my side, it would also be interesting to take a look
at:

- the identification of success factors/major barriers to PSI reuse projects
(e.g. privacy impact, scope/scale of data, reliability and/or official
authentic status of the data, degree of prior availability, competition from
alternative sources, availability of supporting infrastructure
(software/APIs), promotional activities, etc). Probably this would be easier
after we have some more data in place;

- the impact of public-private partnerships on PSI (since private entities
don't necessarily have an interest in making collected data available for
reuse)

- the effect of PSI reuse on information marketplaces: PSI can enable such
markets because a new resource is made available to more service providers;
but also eliminate vendors of information which is now no longer
artificially scarce or protected.

For Thursday, it seems I will probably not be able to attend due to a
conflicting engagement, but I'm sure Katleen has more meaningful things to
add on the topic than I do, anyway. ;-)

Hans

CC: Tom Kronenburg; Ton Zijlstra; Marc de Vries; Hans Graux
Onderwerp: Re: Topic reports

(cc'ing epsi-coord)

Great suggestions Katleen!

Also what about:

Copyright & PSI. Review of which member states have copyright
exemptions for (certain kinds of) government documents/datasets.

J.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Katleen Janssen
For the meeting next Thursday, some first thoughts about possible topic
reports from my side:

-          OGD/re-use and privacy issues – the relationship between the
PSI
directive and the directive on the processing of personal data

-          A study of the results of the reviews of the directive in 2008
and 2010 to have some insights in the developments and remaining
complaints

-          A report about the relationship between access to government
information as a fundamental right and re-use

-          State of Play reports on countries that we hardly hear anything
about: Ireland, Belgium (not that there is much to say J), and
particularly
eastern Europe

-          The relevance of related initiatives for opening up PSI
(something has been written about INSPIRE, but there is also Europeana,
SEIS, GMES, GEOSS, etc.)

Best regards,

Katleen

*********************************

dr. Katleen Janssen

Postdoctoral researcher

K.U.Leuven - Interdisciplinary Centre for Law and ICT

Sint-Michielsstraat 6

B-3000 LEUVEN - BELGIUM

[t]  +32 16 328 707   [f] : + 32 16 325 438

[e]  katleen.janssen at law.kuleuven.be<mailto:katleen.janssen at law.kuleuven.be>

[w]  www.law.kuleuven.ac.be/icri/<http://www.law.kuleuven.ac.be/icri/>   -   www.ibbt.be<http://www.ibbt.be>

“NEW! Postgraduate Studies in ICT & MediaLaw: please consult our website
for
more information!”

--
Jonathan Gray