[epsi-coord] open transport stream at OKFestival

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Tue Apr 24 21:04:08 BST 2012

Hi all,

we have discussed a bit on this before: an open transport topic stream at OKFestival [1]

Although the official deadline for "topic stream" has ended last friday I think we should still submit. I just feel it would be a shame not to have this topic represented at OKFestival. So I would like to make a proposal how to shape format and focus:

PLEASE NOTE: this is just a proposal and we need your help to make it happen. Please comment and add to the preparation pad here: http://okfestival.okfnpad.org/opentransport

1. open transport data and mobility should be a thematic stream in the OGDCamp part of OKFest (18th & 19th September)

2. the focus should be threefold:

• I. Building the emerging open transport data re-use community:
	• An workshop for pioneers and practitioners to establish a dialogue on the latest developments, challenges, and success-stories in the field. This is not a "show and tell" but rather a intense debate on issues and strategies.

• II. A round table with different stakeholders
	• this might include representatives from the european Commission, decision makers in government and public transport agencies, the emerging open transport data re-user community, policy makers, academia and the private sector.
	• this might address issues like european and national policy, cross-border and multimodal travel planning, licensing, pricing, exclusive agreements, etc

• III. A series of presentations, talks, workshop in the main OGDCamp programme to share and feedback the outcomes of the discussion (from I & II) to the broader OKFest audience

## About this topic stream (narrative)

Transportation is a major metropolitan issue, which has a direct impact on economic strength, environmental sustainability, and social equity. When is the next tube coming? How long does it take to travel form A to B? Is it better to take the train or the Bus? To answer these questions we need access to transport data.

One of the types of Public Sector Information which is most in demand is transport data. The evolution of Web 2.0 technologies and the increasing dissemination of smartphones have enabled developers to create a variety of new apps and services which re-use transport data.

As a result, the demand for high quality transport data which is in a machine-readable format and is openly licensed to allow for re-use in commercial and non-commercial products and services is rapidly rising.

Whilst many transport data producers have yet to respond properly to the growing demand for transport data from citizens and developers, there are also success-stories where data providers have opened up transport data, leading to the creation of new and innovative applications.

The open transport data stream at OKFest will bring together representatives from the european Commission, decision makers in government and public transport authorities and agencies, the emerging open transport data re-user community, policy makers, academia and the private sector to discuss the state of play re-using open transport data.

## List of possible speakers

	• Siim Kallas, Vice-President of the European Commission in charge of transport. See also the 1st Smart Mobility Challenge http://ec.europa.eu/transport/its/multimodal-planners/index_en.htm
	• Daniel Rudmark, http://www.trafiklab.se/
	• Tom Steinberg, co-founder mysociety & http://fixmytransport.com/
	• Pieter Colpaert, http://irail.be
	• ...

## Possible Stakeholders to invite
	• Finnish, Scandinavian and Baltic Transport Authorities and Agencies
	• ...

## Possible Partners
	• open transport data working group (you!)
	• the ePSI platform team has expressed that they would like to support this event
	• Trafiklab
	• ...

1. http://okfestival.org/