[EU-lobby-data] Comments by FoEE media team on crunching project

Natacha Cingotti natacha.cingotti at foeeurope.org
Wed Nov 7 15:17:20 UTC 2012

Hey there guys,

We had a little tour of the lobbypudo and the api with the media people
here this morning. I think they're quite interested about it, although
because this goes beyond their own technical knowledge, they had
troubles advising. So it was more an exchange of views and 'common
sense' input from their side, as well as questions.

- they had lots of questions about what happens if, after the launch, we
find out that there are inaccuracies with the crunching - I felt a bit
of concern there, even though I explained that's exactly what we're
trying to handle at the moment and that's why we're postponing the
launch. They suggested we should really give ourselves bog enough a
testing phase of several weeks.
- Fran had a question about the media plan and the launch. At the moment
helen is working on it, but she won't be there when the whole thing is
finished. Do we have an idea how we're going to organise the transition?
Will she brief the new CEO media officer? I feel Fran is not really
confident with handling this on her own.
- both fran and sam suggested we should thinkof some sort of 'user
guide' to make available on the website once it is finished to help
people make the best use of this website in their search
- they also suggested that we might want to think of adding some kind of
note/disclaimer that this is about cross-matching/crunching already
publcly available information (we are not making it up) and also explain
how the crunching is done, what sort of tool we are using to come up
with our lists (not for the geeks who know how this works, but for the
more 'lambda' journos or people visiting the website). even if there is
a priori nothing to worry about (except if crunching doesn't work and
lists are not shown properly - like what we spotted this morning) we
should think of having some lawyer having a look at the website and
advise on any legal risk (I know it's a bummer, but these days this has
become more of an issue)
- in terms of audience, when I explained about the hackday, fran and sam
suggested that we should also probably try and do some more outreach
within the circles of people with an interest in data issues (which we
have started doing via OKFN and are still planning to expand via IFJ and
EJC)

That's it for now. I'll forward them Helen's draft when we get it. I
just thought I would keep you posted about internal discussions as we
go. talking with them, I realise we made a good decision to postpone the
launch :)

cheers

Natacha

--