[EU-lobby-data] Comments by FoEE media team on crunching project

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed Nov 7 17:36:28 UTC 2012

A few comments inline:

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Natacha Cingotti <
natacha.cingotti at foeeurope.org> wrote:

> - they had lots of questions about what happens if, after the launch, we
> find out that there are inaccuracies with the crunching - I felt a bit of
> concern there, even though I explained that's exactly what we're trying to
> handle at the moment and that's why we're postponing the launch. They
> suggested we should really give ourselves bog enough a testing phase of
> several weeks.

Agreed, plus we should probably have a page on "data caveats" for things we
know are wrong but we cannot fix for various reasons (e.g. ambiguous
acronyms).

> - Fran had a question about the media plan and the launch. At the moment
> helen is working on it, but she won't be there when the whole thing is
> finished. Do we have an idea how we're going to organise the transition?
> Will she brief the new CEO media officer? I feel Fran is not really
> confident with handling this on her own.
> - both fran and sam suggested we should thinkof some sort of 'user guide'
> to make available on the website once it is finished to help people make
> the best use of this website in their search

+1 maybe a screencast?

> - they also suggested that we might want to think of adding some kind of
> note/disclaimer that this is about cross-matching/crunching already publcly
> available information (we are not making it up) and also explain how the
> crunching is done, what sort of tool we are using to come up with our lists
> (not for the geeks who know how this works, but for the more 'lambda'
> journos or people visiting the website). even if there is a priori nothing
> to worry about (except if crunching doesn't work and lists are not shown
> properly - like what we spotted this morning) we should think of having
> some lawyer having a look at the website and advise on any legal risk (I
> know it's a bummer, but these days this has become more of an issue)
> - in terms of audience, when I explained about the hackday, fran and sam
> suggested that we should also probably try and do some more outreach within
> the circles of people with an interest in data issues (which we have
> started doing via OKFN and are still planning to expand via IFJ and EJC)

Just to say that we're actually co-organizing the hackday with EJC, so they
are already very much on board, right? If we want to feature things on
datadrivenjournalism.net, we can also do so.

Cheers,

 - Friedrich

--
Friedrich Lindenberg | OpenSpending & OKFN Labs | @pudo