[EU-lobby-data] additional notes conference call & updated planning document

Olivier Hoedeman olivier at corporateeurope.org
Thu Sep 27 14:19:47 UTC 2012

Dear friends,

here's my notes from yesterday's conference call, with action points in
bold (Friedrich's action points were already circulated yesterday). I've
also done a limited update of the planning document. The next conference
call is *Tuesday October 9, at 11 o'clock* (Timo, does that work for you?

_- update on progress re programming and data normalisation _
For the launch on December 4th we will focus on getting the features
that are on the test version of the website (http://lobbydemo.pudo.org/)
in perfect shape. Other data sources (expert groups, etc.) and tasks
will be added at a later stage. For some of these data and tasks we will
try using crowd sourcing to get the data normalisation done. We will
need to add several tables, such as a list of corporations, lobby
consultancies and law firms with lobby offices in Brussels (so people
can search and find out which companies are doing lobbying in Brussels,
but are not registered); *Erik will update the tables* we used for the
ALTER-EU report in June. We will not try to do a table of trade
associations at this stage, but perhaps later (same with NGOs,
thinktanks, etc.). For the data normalisation work that needs to happen
before December 4th, we will *organise a working session in the Mundo-B
building*, probably in the second half of October. Friedrich will work
on getting the datacrunching features ready over the next weeks; we'll
have a stocktaking moment in mid-October.
_
- the contract with web-designers_
We will ask Timo to *meet with the web-designers* (TacticalTech) to
reach an agreement on what they can do for us in time for the website
launch. After the deal is clear, there will be *a technical meeting* in
Berlin involving Friedrich too. About the looks of the website, we would
prefer it to fairly neutral, inviting and easily-accessible; we need the
website to be simple and very user-friendly so people will feel like
using it. In terms of task division between TacticalTech and Friedrich,
TacticalTech will only do the presentation, whereas Friedrich takes care
of data and programming.

_- venue for December 4th launch_
CEO has reserved the Maelbeek room in the Residence Palace in Brussels,
which has moveable seats so we can do both a press conference and a
workshop. Olivier and Natacha will *consult with colleagues* in CEO and
FoEE, including the media officers, about the format of the launch event.

_- what will the name of the website be (plus domain name)_
We have so far used the (domain) name lobbytransparency.eu, but we
should finalise the decision on this important issue, also thinking
about how the name works for social media like twitter.
lobbytransparency.eu is quite neutral; we could also consider
lobbyingexposed.eu (Olivier's proposal) or openinterests.eu (Friedrich's
suggestion) or another option. It might be good to include the term
lobby or lobbying as this is what the website focuses on. We will
discuss this issue within our respective organisations and *circulate
new ideas before the next conference call*.
_
- budget and cost-sharing arrangement_
Natacha and Olivier will *make a detailed budget and suggestion for
cost-sharing* between CEO, FoEE and LC.

_- which basic texts (about the project, background reading, etc.) do we
need to prepare for the website?_
Olivier will *make a proposal for which basic texts we need before the
next call and also for some first blog stories* to have ready December
4th. We may want to ask for external help with the writing of the blog
stories, for instance asking Ester to work on this on a freelance basis.
We will first see how much money we have available.

_- do we add a cyber-action component from the beginning?_
Cyber-action (i.e. inviting website visitors to write to Commissioner
Sefcovic to call for improvements in the register) will be added later
and could be run on other websites rather than the crunch-website itself
(i.e. ALTER-EU). We will try to *add a feature so people can
'subscribe'* to news about specific companies and lobby groups.

_- Hackday _
Friedrich and Erik will participate in this event in London on November
22-24, where we might be able to get help with developing further
features for the website.

You're all warmly invited to *add tasks to the planning document* and to
*add your name to tasks* for which you can take responsibility.

friendly greetings

Olivier