[EU-lobby-data] feedback for visuals (draft compilation)

ester ester at corporateeurope.org
Wed Jan 23 15:07:57 UTC 2013

Good compilation. Thank you for this, Timo. Let's include also Erik's
proposal for the main page: to include a random non registrant. And I
also think it is important to let them know that we want to include
information about the registrant provided by others registrants, that is
to say, that if he's mentioned as a client by a consultancy it should
appear there. I don't see it very clear in the mock-up. And the note
says: "Associated organisations are illustrated using a tag cloud style.
I.e. items that appear more frequently, appear larger". If there is
going to be a difference in size, it should reflect the money involved,
I think.

Cheers,

ester

On 23/01/13 13:52, Timo Lange wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried to compile the comments that we have so far. Going through
> them, I realised that all comments involved quite a large degree of
> uncertainty with regards to what we are looking at, what is still to
> come, and how the site is supposed to work. The idea to use cards for
> every organisation and to have filters to narrow the search (and later
> to display registrants from a specific sector only) was agreed. And it
> seems to me that we got that all in all. The thing is, that the
> Natacha's and Ester's comments as well as mine own and Eriks involve
> more questions than definitive answers/feedback. Nonetheless, here is my
> draft for a summary:
>
> *STYLE*
>
> - colours, typo and general image: OK
>
> *STRUCTURE & FUNCTIONALITY*
>
> - it's hard to give a really qualified, specific feedback without
> further info and without being able to navigate through the site
>
> - maybe need more space for organisations description (what is relevant
> there?). in general ALL INFO that is in the register should be in
> priniciple also be accessable --> maybe hidden at first but one should
> be able to access the data
>
> - still pretty unclear what the mobile version is supposed to do and if
> we need it at this stage at all
>
> - top-level menu is a bit confusing (Erik)
>
> - filters need to be flexible to amend futher categories in the future
>
> - I (Timo) still would like to have the opportunity to show the rankings
> as a simple list (like in Friedrich's pudo version). Not sure if this is
> still going to be implemented
>
> - will there be a possibility to mark specific entries (cards) as NOT
> RELIABLE in a very eye-catching way? This would also need to be marked
> in the database so that people would have the option to display/list
> only those entries that seem to be reliable
>
> - What to do with organisations that are not registered but are
> mentioned by others? We should create entries for those who are
> mentioned by others, but it is important that these entries are not
> counted in the total numbers of lobbies registered and it is also
> important that we highlight somehow in the entry that they are NOT
> registered (red card).
>
> - If you do a search for a specific organisation and this organisation
> is not in the register, there should be an automatic message that
> informs the user about the non-compulsory nature of the register
>
> - what about historical data? it should be possible to view the history
> for each registrant (what did they disclose last year etc.). this should
> also be possible for whole categories and lists (which lobby consulancy
> had the biggest turnover in 2008? what was the aggregated lobby
> expenditure of companies in 2009? how much did the tobacco lobby spend
> in 2010? etc. etc.)
>
> Friedrich proposed the use of a ticketing system. I like that idea.
> [...]

Ester Arauzo
Researcher and media outreach coordinator
Corporate Europe Observatory (CEO)
+32 (0) 2 893 09 30

Stay in touch with us!
Twitter <http://twitter.com/corporateeurope> Facebook