[euopendata] ICT-2010 networking session on gov linked data

Stefano.BERTOLO at ec.europa.eu Stefano.BERTOLO at ec.europa.eu
Sun Feb 28 10:33:51 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I would advise against listing projects that have not been formaly awarded but are still under negotiation.

Also, I would be really careful not to create unhelpful group dynamics.

A few months ago I spent a day at an event on the future of the Semantic Web where more than two thirds of the presentations I attended were about existing projects funded by the Framework Programme.

This had the, in my opinion undesireable, effect that people concentrated more on showing their current family jewels than brainstorming on the design and forging on new jewels.

In my opinion, mentioning prominently existing funded projects (and hinting at soon to be funded ones) is productive only if someone who is *outside* these projects would be able to see:

-- what tools or resources she could obtain from such projects **in order to solve a concrete gov linked data problem**
-- what tools or resources she could contribute to such projects **in order to improve the project's effectiveness**

And to feel that she would be welcome to do so.

When I was child, my mother used to quote a sentence that parents used to tell children of *her* generation to make them behave:

"If you behave I'll take you downtown so you can watch the rich kids eating ice cream".

Those of you who (very deservedly) have received EU funding to carry out your work should understand that such funding very much looks and feels like ice cream in the minds of those who have *not* received it.

I should hope that the networking session under discussion will be more about how *everyone* in the session could be organised to get ice cream next time around than a description of the particular flavour people are (once again, deservedly) licking at the moment.

Best,

stefano

Stefano Bertolo, Ph.D.       Project Officer
European Commission Information Society DG, Unit E2
Mail: EUFO 1/293 - rue Alcide de Gasperi - L-2920 Luxembourg
Office: Euroforum building - 10, rue Robert Stumper - L-2557 Luxembourg
Tel. +352.4301.37435 Fax. +352.4301.38099
stefano.bertolo at ec.europa.eu
DG INFSO/E2: http://cordis.europa.eu/info-management/
http://www.okkam.org/entity/ed5bdc09-ca66-4435-b48e-6df558315fa1
The views expressed in this e-mail are not necessarily those of
the European Commission