[euopendata] VL: Digital Agenda Stakeholder Day, 25 October 2010

Marc de Vries info at devriesmarc.nl
Thu Sep 23 11:34:29 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

I do not know whether my thoughts jotted below would qualify as 'an idea',
but I truly think this should be on the agenda of Ms Kroes when we want to
shape the future of PSI re-use. Could you make sure this is put to the
attention of the Commission?

Regards,
Marc

++++

To me accessibility is THE key element that can potentially let PSI re-use
rock and roll. Where access to PSI will increase almost autonomously,
accessibility will become the driver. Without proper policy hereon, there is
hardly any point in providing access (the best place to hide a book is in
the library).

Like for the creation of PSI, the creation of accessibility to that PSI is
also limited by the public task. In other words: a political decision is
needed to what extent the provision of accessibility should be done by the
government itself and where actually this ends and companies should step in
to enhance the accessibility. Put differently, the government should provide
a rock solid guarantee that it will provide a basic level of accessibility
to PSI.

Obviously, this guarantee needs a legal basis at EU level, otherwise nothing
will happen and if something will happen it will eb in isolation. So, along
the lines of the INSPIRE Directive, a European framework is needed on
accessibility, covering also other sectors than environmental data. In fact,
INSPIRE could be the pilot and source of inspiration here.

Looking further ahead, it would make sense to create a regulatory framework
where the whole life cycle of PSI is addressed. This may be a tough case
where it concerns access (which is typically an issue where national
governments want to stay on top and from which the Commission wants to stay
away for sure), but for accessibility and re-use, such integration would
make perfect sense. In other words, at some point we need to integrate the
INSPIRE and PSI re-use Directive into a broader framework, also addressing
the re-use 'showstoppers', being: copyright and database rights (believe me,
these instruments were not created to protect the interests of governments).

Concretely, to incubate the discussions hereon, I would suggest to do a
fundamental study on the relationship between the four factors determining
the usage value of PSI and the question whether it would make sense to
extend the European regulatory framework, where the interests of business
and citizens should be the yardstick (for which the EU Treaty provides a
perfectly valid basis). This should be put on the digital agenda of Ms
Kroes!

Marc de Vries
PSI re-use addict
info at dfevriesmarc.nl

interested in some more of my thoughts on this matter? Have a look at:
http://www.epsiplus.net/psi_library/reports/reverse_engineering_europe_s_psi
_re_use_rules_towards_an_integrated_conceptual_framework_for_psi_re_use