[euopendata] Open Data Manual at http://opendatamanual.org/

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Feb 3 11:35:51 UTC 2011

On 2 February 2011 18:54, Peter Krantz <peter.krantz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 19:39, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Together with Julian Tait I've posted up the current version of the
>> open data manual to a wordpress site at:
>>

> I have a question regarding the definition of "open". Other pople I
> talk to have stressed the importance of data being available at zero
> cost for the "reader" to be declared open. The current text says "no
> more than a reasonable reproduction cost" but does not define
> "reasonable".

Good point. In http://opendefinition.org/okd/ point 1 on access it says:

"The work shall be available as a whole and at no more than a
reasonable reproduction cost, preferably downloading via the Internet
without charge."

I think the additional phrase is important.

> Having even a modest reproduction cost may raise the barrier in a lot
> of usage scenarios. How would the eurostat hackday have progressed if
> participants had to pay say a 100 EUR to get access to the raw data?

It is the cost of *reproduction*. The cost of copying a digital scan
(once scan is done) is negligible (at most a few cents).

Rufus

> Regards,
>
> Peter

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation