[euopendata] Study says charge for public data...

James McKinney oxford.tuxedo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 23:24:39 UTC 2011

Some great arguments in favor of no fees. As I see it, charging for
non-commercial use has one, clear advantage (revenue), but has many,
possible disadvantages, largely in terms of opportunity: Would the
commercial market around the data have grown more quickly without the
fees? Do fees significantly increase the consumer price of a service
using the data, whose adoption would have been beneficial? Are the
fees high enough to be a serious barrier to entry for some desirable
businesses?

In terms of the issues concerning intra-government transactions, the
license can exclude these bodies from fees. Also, there are a few
arguments here that are good arguments for why there shouldn't be fees
on all uses, but that are not great arguments for why there shouldn't
be fees on commercial uses specifically.

But as the French paper points out, if an agency wants to release
data, but doesn't have the funding for it, it may want/have to
consider non-commercial fees.