[euopendata] Study says charge for public data...

Hjalmar Gislason hjalli at datamarket.com
Sun Jan 16 14:47:06 UTC 2011

Here's a quick example on why commercial usage should also be free,
taken from my own experience...

The Institute for Icelandic Studies
(http://arnastofnun.is/page/arnastofnun_frontpage_en) is a public
institution that has gathered a lot of language resources over time.
Some of those resources used to be available for commercial use only
by a substantial annual fee. While several companies (startups mainly)
thought there were commercial opportunities in using this data, none
were willing to cough up the fees needed, so the result was that the
data wasn't being used for commercial purposes at all. One of these
projects was a search engine project that I was working on. As we were
working on things that were valuable to them, we managed to do a
"swap" agreement with them. We got a license to use their data, and
they go to use a lot of our technology.

The result was hugely improved search on the nationwide telephone
registry (http://en.ja.is/), resulting in more usage of the site
giving the company more advertising revenues and our users better
service and search results. Ergo: A lot of commercial AND society
value was released, that otherwise wouldn't have. In fact we were so
happy with the results that we decided to see what would happen if the
data was fully opened up. The telephone registry sponsored the
Institute to open up their resources and organize a prize competition
on projects using that data.

The competition was quite successful. We got over 30 entries ranging
from Icelandic language games, to hard-core language technology
solutions. Now there are several companies using their data for
various purposes and in fact there are even more academic and
non-commercial users of the data too as the data has been publicized a
lot more than it had previously.

All in all a good example of value that is released when data is
opened up for ALL usage.

Best,
Hjalmar Gislason
Founder & CEO, DataMarket