[euopendata] Request for information: recent PSI/open gov data developments in your country

Antti Poikola antti.poikola at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 10:43:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

Progress in policy:
In Finland we have parliament elections in April (17.4). The current
government have a mention in their agenda about PSI: "/The Government
will give decisions which provide for the opening and availability of
data in the possession of the public sector without compromising data
security."/
http://apoikola.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/reference-to-open-data-in-the-government-agenda-in-finland/

The decision have been drafted in a working group led by the ministry of
transportation and communications. I gave some consultancy in the
drafting process and now the decistion is waiting to get approved before
this government term ends. The content of the decision lines the policy
work related to PSI for the future, unfortunately the pricing issue is
still very hard and the decision draft doen't say much about it. Problem
is that the ministry of transp. end comm. doesn't have the power to
mandate the pricing issues, since that is under the moinistry of
finance. In other aspects the drafted decision is very promising,
hopefully there won't be any delays and the decition can be approved
before the elections.

Other progress:
Helsinki Region Infoshare -project is doing good work. They are building
regional data catalog (based on CKAN) and publishing data sets (mostly
statistics), they are building real show case applications of linked
data and convincing the local authorities to open more data.

http://www.hri.fi/ <http://www.hri.fi/en> (some info in english as well)

-Antti P.