[euopendata] Fwd: Open data competitions - archive + documentation?

Lorenzo Benussi lorenzo.benussi at top-ix.org
Tue Jun 14 09:16:14 UTC 2011

hi all, we are organizing a competition in Italy with others open data enthusiast, Apps4Italy a national competition for apps, ideas, visualization based on open data. Our aim is rising attention on the phenomenon, gathering examples and stimulating public bodies to free their data (at least some of them as ).
It is also a challenge to the present situation in Italy where even if we really need transparency and competition, the central government is incredibly slow in adopting the model. I will update you as  soon as the web site is online also because apps4italy will be open to all EU citizens, so it may be of interest to some readers of this list.
I am sure competitions are the best way to help people and companies to develop new apps and it is the most effective method to show that open data is about services for the people, is concrete and can actually change our life.
I'm happy to take part in the process of sharing and learning practices and eventually tools for open data competitions. I think that something like "open data competition in a box" is a very good idea since the organization in not trivial at all.

best, lorenzo