[euopendata] Fwd: Open data competitions - archive + documentation?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Jun 14 08:12:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Peter Krantz <peter.krantz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be happy to input my experience from the two events Appening
> and Hack4Europe that I participated in. I second the idea about a
> competition support platform. It would lower the barrier for managing
> a competition and from my experience these have proven to be extremely
> valuable for helping agency managers understand the power of open
> data.

Excellent - very much agree.

> Or are you only looking at gathering data from the outcome of a
> competition/hackday?

I think in the first instance we want to gather:

  1. Information on open data competitions (what happened when, etc) -
possibly in CKAN, as per Friedrich's recent email.
  2. Documentation on what people did to set up competitions and
instructions for how to run a competition - for OpenDataManual.org

Later we could build on 2. to create something like "open data
competition in a box" - e.g. with template  websites and detailed
instructions - if this was deemed to be useful. ;-)

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation