[euopendata] Update on pan-European open data competition

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 11:22:01 UTC 2011

Great stuff. I'd second the request to allow submissions as text only rather
than video. Think video only adds an additional barrier & will inevitably
mean that it's the videos being judged rather than the ideas (and even if
that's not the case, it will be a concern).

> Dear Jonathan,
>
> On 14.03.2011, at 23:53, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Following is an update on the pan-European 'Open Data Challenge'
> > competition [1]. The Open Knowledge Foundation (OKF) and the Open
> > Forum Academy (OFA) are leading the organisation of the competition
> > under the auspices of the Share PSI initiative [2]. Updates on
> > progress will be sent to both the existing 'euopendata' list and the
> > new Share PSI list.
>
> Excellent news!!
>

> > First of all: why bother? From my point of view there are three main
> > reasons why this is worth doing:
> >
> >  (i) to generate momentum for open data in Europe - encouraging more
> > public bodies and more national governments to consider opening up
> > their data
> >  (ii) to strengthen the community of people interested in open data
> > in Europe - e.g. connecting the dots between people in different
> > places so we can make better applications and services, share
> > expertise and experiences, and so on
> >  (iii) to engage new people - e.g. data literate citizens, data
> > journalists, designers and so on
> >
> > What next? Here is the rough roadmap:
> >
> >  * Until late March: soliciting for partners/sponsors
> >  * Early April: competition opens
> >  * Early June: competition closes
> >  * Mid June: winners will be announced in Brussels
>
> Sounds like a plan
>

> > As it says above, we are openly soliciting for input from
> > parters/sponsors for this initiative. In particular we are looking
> > for:
> >
> >  * local contacts - to help with translating the competition website,
> > liaising with local entrants, and evangelising about the competition
> > in relevant local communities
>
> OKF DE & Open Data Network will cover this for Germany
>
> >  * local, regional and national public bodies - to contribute data
> > and to show support for the competition from governments around Europe
>
> we will try to convince them ;)
>
> >  * media partners - to help show support for the competition, and to
> > promote it in the country where they are based
> >  * sponsors - to contribute towards the prizes
> >
> > The competition will have three main strands:
> >
> >  * Ideas ? Anyone can suggest an idea for projects which reuse public
> > information to do something interesting or useful. Applications are
> > submitted in the form of a microshort video and short supporting text.
> >  * Applications ? Teams of developers can submit working applications
> > which reuse public information. Applications must be made available
> > under an open source license, and teams must include representation
> > from at least two European member states.
>
> I would suggest that applications could also be submitted as plain text.
> Not everybody is familiar with video.
>
> >  * Visualisations ? Designers, artists and others can submit
> > interesting or insightful visual representations of public
> > information.
> >
> > Here are our immediate to do items:

> [...]

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture