[euopendata] [psi-workers] Update on pan-European open data competition

Federico Morando federico.morando at polito.it
Tue Mar 15 11:28:22 UTC 2011

Dear Jonathan,

thanks for your excellent roadmap. A few feedbacks below:

On 03/14/2011 11:53 PM, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>    * local contacts - to help with translating the competition website,
> liaising with local entrants, and evangelising about the competition
> in relevant local communities
Of course, we (NEXA/LAPSI) can do this for Italy and we can check if
some LAPSI members can help in other countries: let us know on which
countries/languages we should try to focus our efforts, on the basis of
the availability of other participants (e.g. German and Italian seems to
be already covered).

Claudio (in Cc) and I will take care of the Italian version.
>    * local, regional and national public bodies - to contribute data
> and to show support for the competition from governments around Europe
Excellent: as you know, Lorenzo if following this issue for NEXA/LAPSI
at the level of the Piedmont Region in Northern Italy.
>    * media partners - to help show support for the competition, and to
> promote it in the country where they are based
Lorenzo, Juan Carlos and I can try to contact some people in Italy. I'm
confidend that we can find one or two good media partners!
> The competition will have three main strands:
>
>    * Ideas – Anyone can suggest an idea for projects which reuse public
> information to do something interesting or useful. Applications are
> submitted in the form of a microshort video and short supporting text.
>    * Applications – Teams of developers can submit working applications
> which reuse public information. Applications must be made available
> under an open source license, and teams must include representation
> from at least two European member states.
>    * Visualisations – Designers, artists and others can submit
> interesting or insightful visual representations of public
> information.
Maybe, we can add a prize for the best dataset opened during the call,
of course, it should be an open and "interoperable" dataset, in the
sense that the possibility of mixing it with other data at the European
level would matter for the prize... there was a suggestion in this sence
on the list and I think it was a good idea to directly involve PSI holders.

Thanks and best regards,

Federico