[euopendata] Introduction to Listpoint | Call for open reference data results

Mitton, David DavidMitton at liberata.com
Thu Jan 5 16:54:49 UTC 2012

I would firstly like to thank those list members who responded to my call for 'open reference data' recently. The 2 week activity was a huge success in terms of finding new reference data (code lists) and these will continue to be published on the platform over the coming weeks and as open data. The wider interest in the platform and some ongoing discussions has led me to provide this short overview, which I hope you find useful.

Introduction to Listpoint

The Listpoint reference data management platform is a repository for data standards in the shape of code lists. Listpoint will help interpret open data by providing its underlying metadata and schema in machine readable format. E.g. mapping ISO country codes and Microsoft Country codes to provide a translation layer for systems to surface a single view of data.

Listpoint is now available to access and re-use existing 'open' reference data and/or create and publish additional reference data. You can choose to publish reference data as either open or private. We wish to encourage as many 'open' data sets as possible and planned development will add licensing options such as Open Government and Creative Commons variants. All data published as 'public' is accessible and downloadable without a need for registration, for free and as open data.
At the recent Open Government Data Camp many of the speakers talked about a need to find tools that could help bring the Open Data sets together and support mash ups. Listpoint I believe is one such tool which will support this community in delivering on the promise of 'open data'.

Listpoint can be used by all the open data portals to expose their standards and enable mapping between 'standards'. The platform currently holds in access of 3700 open reference data sets and growing fast as more project teams and users access the platform. I hope the community sees the value in having a central reference data repository where you can find, manage, publish and map lists together.

The platform is currently undergoing a complete re-development to make it easier for users to collaborate around and share code lists but in the interim please feel free to have a look at www.listpoint.co.uk<http://www.listpoint.co.uk/>

Regards

David Mitton

Liberata is the trading name of Liberata UK Limited (Registered in England and Wales - No 1238274) and other Liberata group companies.  Registered Office: 4th Floor, 125 Wood Street, London EC2V 7AN. Liberata UK Limited is a subsidiary of Ardvarna Investment Capital Limited (Registered in England and Wales – No 7358243). Registered Office: 4th Floor, 125 Wood Street, London EC2V 7AN.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only, and must not be re-transmitted in an amended form without our consent.  If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person or make any copies.  Please then delete it and do not disclose its contents to any other person.

Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. We operate anti-virus programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this e-mail (including all attachments). Liberata UK Limited do not accept any liability in respect of any damage caused by any virus which is not detected.

All e-mails to and from anyone @liberata.com may be examined for breaches of employee policies and the law. All e-mails to anyone @liberata.com are communications to the company and not private and confidential to any named individual.