[euopendata] [ITRE Nov 29th] PSI votes on Open Formats tomorrow at EUparl 10am

Eric Mill eric at sunlightfoundation.com
Thu Nov 29 18:23:01 UTC 2012

This sounds so awesome - but would someone mind summarizing the situation
for someone not familiar with the EU system/acronyms/nomenclature? Is the
EU now mandating that some bodies publish their parliamentary information
in machine readable formats? Which bodies does this effect? Is it binding?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Ricardo Lafuente <bollecs at sollec.org>wrote:

> Hello Benjamin!
>
> I just read on the @RegardsCitoyens Twitter account that amendment 18
> passed and 65 did not. Which is mostly great news -- thank you all involved
> in this effort! Can you provide a link for the results announcement?
>
> Also, can you please clarify the next steps that this process will take
> until it is enacted as an EU directive, and are there still obstacles in
> the way? Amendment 18 (machine-readable formats) is absolutely crucial for
> most of our efforts here in Portugal, where most PSI content is almost
> exclusively available in hard-to-parse PDF.
>
> Thank you again! Cheers to all who have been enlightening the MEPs!
> :r
>

> On 11/28/2012 04:24 PM, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> As you all probably know, PSI directive is being revised regarding
>> reuse soon at the European Parliament. Tomorrow at 10am
>> <http://www.europarl.europa.**eu/committees/en/itre/draft-**
>> agendas.html?linkedDocument=**true&ufolderComCode=ITRE&**
>> ufolderLegId=7&ufolderId=**11208&urefProcYear=&**
>> urefProcNum=&urefProcCode=#**menuzone<http://www.europarl.europa.eu/committees/en/itre/draft-agendas.html?linkedDocument=true&ufolderComCode=ITRE&ufolderLegId=7&ufolderId=11208&urefProcYear=&urefProcNum=&urefProcCode=#menuzone>
>> >,
>> the ITRE comittee will discuss it and will vote among other things on
>> amendments defining what open formats are.
>>
>> We just sent to all MEPs from the commitee (cf
>> <https://memopol.lqdn.fr/**search/?q=committees:ITRE%**20is_active:1<https://memopol.lqdn.fr/search/?q=committees:ITRE%20is_active:1>>)
>> note explaining why we believe it is important to ensure this
>> definition includes a reference to requiring machine-readable (vote
>> for compromise amendment 18) and an open development process (vote for
>> amendement 65 from Amelia Andersdotter):
>> <http://www.regardscitoyens.**org/documents/20121128-**
>> RegardsCitoyens-PSI-reuse-**open-formats.pdf<http://www.regardscitoyens.org/documents/20121128-RegardsCitoyens-PSI-reuse-open-formats.pdf>
>> >

>> We believe this is a very important matter for OpenData so we call on
>> all of you to maybe help us on this advocacy run till tomorrow
>> morning.
>>
>> An efficient way to participate to this work would be to send priorily
>> emails or tweets to the ALDE or PPE members of the ITRE commitee in
>> order to advise them to vote for compromise amendement 18 and
>> amendment 65.
>> <https://twitter.com/search/**realtime?q=%23PSI&src=typd<https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23PSI&src=typd>
>> >

>> Good evening and good luck to us all! ;)
>>
>> Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou for Regards Citoyens

Developer | sunlightfoundation.com