[euopendata] Moral clauses in data terms & conditions?

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Wed May 28 09:17:21 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

Thanks!

"Is it possible to gain insight on people because we have enough granular
data sets?"

This is a key issue, regardless of illegal or immoral use of data. The
short answer to this is of course "yes". And none of our current dealing
with privacy and data protection in laws takes it into account.
Recombination of datasets that themselves are innocent into something that
breach privacy does not exist as a possibility in current privacy law. Most
deal only with whether a single dataset contains personal data.

We know that from your non-public FB profile that just lists 8 of your
random contacts, a reliable (but not fully reliable) prediction about your
sexual orientation can be made. Something any Ugandan male for instance
should regard with fear.

This is a question that will undoubtedly will be extremely important in the
coming years in the (open) data discussion.
Our notions of privacy and how we aim to regulate it will need to evolve a
lot to keep up with the new affordances of pervasive digital data
availability.

best,
Ton

Interdependent Thoughts