[euopendata] Moral clauses in data terms & conditions?

Javier Ruiz Diaz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Wed May 28 10:07:09 UTC 2014

> Ton Zijlstra <mailto:ton.zijlstra at gmail.com>
> 28 May 2014 10:17
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Is it possible to gain insight on people because we have enough
> granular data sets?"
>
> This is a key issue, regardless of illegal or immoral use of data. The
> short answer to this is of course "yes". And none of our current
> dealing with privacy and data protection in laws takes it into
> account. Recombination of datasets that themselves are innocent into
> something that breach privacy does not exist as a possibility in
> current privacy law. Most deal only with whether a single dataset
> contains personal data.

 This is only partly true. The famous Google ruling on the right to be
forgotten was based on the emergent properties of the search results,
which amounted to a new privacy risk separate from the sum of its parts.
This made Google a data controller, while the original newspaper holding
the article was not affected.

It is a bit different when merging datasets, but I believe the principle
applies.