[okfn-coord] potential paid web development for historical law project

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 7 12:56:01 UTC 2006

NB: I am sending this to coord because nothing definite has been decided
about the project and Professor Bently told me some of the information
in confidence.

Professor Bently of the Cambirdge law faculty is running an AHRC funded
project to digitize a set of historical materials relate to IP law. They
are planning to digitize a total of around 250 documents from 5
jurisdictions along with translations/transcriptions and commentary.
Once the material is collected and digitized they wish to make it
available online. They have various interesting ideas for the interface
including a timeline of documents, side by side document and
transcription etc. They also hope that this database of documents will
continue grow beyond the basic document set they will put in.

They initially negotiated with the University of Bristol to build this
websiste but that has now fallen through. I spoke with Professor Bently
earlier this week about he asked whether I knew anyone who would be
interested in working on this. There project will provide everything in
an open form and the web side of things appears to have a lot of
connections with other open knowledge work we're interested in. Last but
not least the project seems to have a reasonable amount of money
available -- somewhere between 10k and 20k.

Thus I'd think it would be good for the OKF to take this on. I've also
spoken with Francis Irving and John Bywater about collaborating on this
(John runs the Appropriate Software Foundation and is doing ongoing
development work for the OKF).

If we did go ahead Tom Mustill is happy to work with me in drawing up
the proposal/doing negotiations etc. According to Bently they'd like to
have things resolved by the end of July, need to have the final site
done by Sept 2007 but want a prototype by this october.

Regards,