[okfn-coord] [Fwd: Re: Touching base] -- meeting with patent office

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jul 12 14:30:57 UTC 2006

Saul Albert wrote:
> hi Rufus,
>
> This looks promising! I have no idea what the scene in the Patent office
> is, but this kind of pro-active contact is extremely encouraging.

Yes it is (I was surprised). Duncan is someone I've met at WIPO several
times but we've haven't exactly 'hit if off'.

> What do you think the 'dossier owners' agendas are? Perhaps I'm missing

Well they will be pretty pro-patent/pro-copyright (e.g. PO were pushing
the council version of the CII directive -- aka software patents directive).

> something.. why should this be confidential too... ? Just because it's a
> new and untested contact?

Exactly. Also because one wants to avoid counter-lobbying --
okfn-discuss is fully googalable and so if someone, say from Microsoft
or the BPI, saw that I was going off to have informal chats at the UKPO
they might start objecting behind the scenes. Furthermore, in my
experience, a person such as this would expect everything he wrote to me
to be kept non-public unless I had asked his permission.

> Anyway - it would be interesting to find out more about these people..

Yes which is why I'll definitely try to go down there.

~rufus