[okfn-coord] IMPORTANT (Please read): (Re-) Organizing the OKF

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sat Feb 17 16:37:14 UTC 2007

read and in essence absorbed. makes a lot of sense to me.
happy to be on the board. doing a bit of adhoc research into
foundation governance anyway as at OSGeo we are trying to formalise
legal bylaws, expand membership and hold new board elections all at
the same time.

in that context board membership becomes more about nominal oversight
and corporate responsibility and not actively about governance.
board members tend to do their thing through local (language/spatial)
chapters or through committees. i see okfn/geo and osgeo/geodata as
two different extensions of the same organism anyway.

thanks Rufus for summarising the governance outline, i think it will be
informative as well as maybe useful for OSGeo's current admin struggle.

speak soon, hopes

jo