[okfn-coord] Response from Ford on Weaving History: a negative

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Oct 16 13:38:03 UTC 2007

dear Rufus, Jonny, all,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 01:00:11PM +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Just received the Ford letter regarding Weaving History in which they
> politely say no:
>
> Given that they receive around 40000 requests a year this isn't perhaps
> very surprising and we can now move on to the next set of possible
> funders (Sloan/Macarthur etc -- btw anyone in the EU/UK we can think
> of?). With this stuff I think we've just got to keep trying.

I am sorry to hear of this and the previous, and as you say we just
have to keep trying. Every year I hear about eContentPlus.
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/econtentplus/index_en.htm
This year's CFP has just closed but it would be worth thinking about
next year. The application process is a *lot* of overhead but smaller
schemes may be upcoming.

As with all these things it helps to be part of a consortium, members
in several countries, with some academic and business representation.
There may be matching funds constraints. There are Vast Sums available
through these channels but it could burn a lot of grantwriting energy.

I notice Saul is involved in this series of workshops about open
source software for small "creative" business;
http://nm-x.com/project/open-business and remember that "plundering
the public trust" workshop that he blogged about a while back.
What was it called again? I can't find it on the blog.
Hey, the blog is great! I like Francis' recent rant, i wrote a very
similar one the same day. More Open Social Graph wet feet, huh?

http://blog.okfn.org/2007/10/11/google-vs-facebook/
http://frot.org/devlog/2007/10/11/open-social-scene/

cheers,

jo