[okfn-coord] Response from Ford on Weaving History: a negative

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Oct 16 12:00:11 UTC 2007

Just received the Ford letter regarding Weaving History in which they
politely say no:

"Unfortunately I cannot be encouraging about the possibility of Ford
Foundation support for your project as it does not fall within the
current program priorities of the Foundation. Due to competing demands
and budget limitations, we must decline support to many organizations
whose worthwhile programs are outside our area of focus."

(I note that the response was from Janice Petrovich, head of their
Education, Sexuality and Religion programme rather than from Media, Arts
and Culture which was the other programme in the Knowledge, Creativity
and Freedom area most appropriate to our application).

Given that they receive around 40000 requests a year this isn't perhaps
very surprising and we can now move on to the next set of possible
funders (Sloan/Macarthur etc -- btw anyone in the EU/UK we can think
of?). With this stuff I think we've just got to keep trying.

~rufus