[okfn-coord] [Fwd: Concerning FKFT Conference]

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Tue Jun 3 19:04:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:33:01PM +0100, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> Is it just me, or is a 'speakers fee' of 140 euros a little steep?

Ouch. In my experience conferences are either speaker rides free, or
no speaker discount at all, depending on the domain.
This seems like an unfortunate compromise.

> I'm disinclined to go. What do people think?

I wouldn't let this put you off, if OKFN funds are available then
it would be worth putting the 140eu extra towards it.
What's your talk abstract again? (I would look at www.ftfk.org but it's
not responding at the moment...)

I wondered about "Institutionalisation" of freeculture after hearing
some of the rhetoric on the "Open Education" panel at OKCon;
perhaps it's not particularly healthy to have people doing full-time
Foundation-type work on this sort of thing - keep hands dirty!
But that sounds like inverse-snobbery to say. It was the one thing
that left a funny taste in my mouth after the last OKCon.

So, all the more reason to use what support we have to visit these
events where a usual-suspects caste with formal institutional support
gathers, and keep it, if possible, a bit real.

zx