[okfn-coord] URGENT: 'Where Does My Money Go'!

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Nov 14 21:18:25 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Spoke to Richard Stirling at Cabinet Office earlier. Basically it doesn't
look like we'll get any money - and the original plan was for Cabinet
Office to build project themselves via a contractor.

Fortunately after talking with Richard they've agreed to a few things:

 * the tool will be open source (crucial in longer term!);
 * we can take a leading role with the project, though we won't directly
handle any money;
 * we've got to get back to Richard on Monday with our 'project team', a
rough plan, and a wishlist of where we'd like the money to be spent, so
he can pitch this to the Cabinet Office;
 * they've been speaking to 'Reading Room' and other contractors for
visualisation work, but he's open to suggestions;
 * people they're most likely to talk to about more general contract work
are Harry Metcalfe and Sam Smith (due to track record with project
delivery etc.);
 * general plan would be to get an easy proof of concept with some basic
functionality rolled out ASAP, so he's got something to show to his
minister (Tom Watson).

General notes:

 * I suggested 4 main things WDDMG would be able to do: 'top down'
budgetary breakdown; 'bottom up' analysis (from POV of citizen); temporal
analysis (including change in allocation of money); showing things on
maps. (See my original email below for more detail.)
 * after speaking to senior people at HMT he thinks year to year
comparisons won't be achievable in short term due to changing of budget
breakdown, etc. (he cited 'ethical problems' with this);
 * also problems with assigning geo-spatial references to data ('where'
money is often up for interpretation);
 * he and others are not sure about 'bottom up' use case - where a citizen
with a given income in a given area would be able to see (roughly) where
their contributions go (of course, a non-trivial task!);
 * main thing to focus on would hence be straightforward 'top down'
breakdown, e.g. based on 'red book';
 * main data sources from HMT (cf. Google for 'PESA' + 'HMT'), he wasn't
forthcoming with suggestions for other sources in the first instance;
 * mentioned various ball park figures for expenses, from £1k to £3-4k.

SUMMARY:

I've got to speak to Richard on Monday with details of our project team
and how we'd like to spend the money. He directly asked 'who we'd employ'
if we could get a few days of someone's time.

Possible project team:
 * Rufus
 * Francis
 * Julian
 * Rob McKinnon
 * Me

We should definitely try and speak to Francis, Julian and Rob before
Monday, if this is possible! Any other ideas for people who might be keen
to work on this?

A couple of questions: (1) Are we roughly happy with this? (2) Can the OKF
realistically take this on with its existing (stretched) capacity?

Personally I've got a 40k word thesis, 2 academic talks, at least one
paper due for publication, as well as a possible role in a new journal. I
haven't even started to look at PhD applications yet. I know we're all
pretty pushed for time!

I could, e.g., propose we take a 'back seat driver' type role, and have
input/oversight, but that we don't have resources/capacity to commit much
in the way of time/energy.

Sorry for lengthy email - and have a good weekend! I'm off out!

J.