[okfn-coord] OKF Consultancy work for Jack Thurston of farmsubsidy.org

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Thu Apr 2 10:15:26 UTC 2009

On 2 Apr 2009, at 10:58, Rufus Pollock wrote:

>> We have agreed all of this in writing (via email) - but we were
>> wondering whether, additionally, we should have a contract? While
>
> To be clear: what we have in the emails is already a contract! The
> only question is whether we should have a more "formal" contract.

I say yes.  Always helps.  I'll  have a poke around my files and see
if I can send something along.

>> ideally it would be good to have a contract done, we're a bit
>> concerned that this could be disproportionately time consuming -
>> especially as this work needs to be completed in a few weeks in time
>> for an event at which it will be launched. Do people think the emails
>> will be sufficient?
>
> Here we are agreeing 8 days of consultancy work to be organized in
> close collaboration with themselves. Given the relatively limited
> amount of work and the timeline on this my inclination would be to go
> with the a simple email. However, if people think a written-up
> contract would be better (and have one to hand) I'd be delighted to go
> with that.
>
> One last question: what's the general procedure on invoicing here? Do
> we invoice one commencement of work, half-way through, at end?

These days, with people being MUCH slower to pay than they were a year
ago, I usually ask for a 1/3 up front to start work and the rest on
completion on smaller projects (such as this) and split into 1/3s with
some sort of milestone in the middle for the half way payment for
larger projects.

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM