[okfn-coord] OKF Consultancy work for Jack Thurston of farmsubsidy.org

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Apr 2 09:58:06 UTC 2009

2009/4/2 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> We're talking to Jack Thurston later today. After hearing from a few
> people that our consultancy rate should be higher we contacted him
> again and he said the rate they usually pay is £250-300 per day. Hence

Specifically we quoted 700-900 as our normal commercial rates and half
that for non-profits (as you suggested) but emphasized that we were
flexible.

> we're going ahead with £275 per day, for 8 days.
>  - instead of the initial £225 per day.

His basic range was 250-300 so we agreed 275.

> We have agreed all of this in writing (via email) - but we were
> wondering whether, additionally, we should have a contract? While

To be clear: what we have in the emails is already a contract! The
only question is whether we should have a more "formal" contract.

> ideally it would be good to have a contract done, we're a bit
> concerned that this could be disproportionately time consuming -
> especially as this work needs to be completed in a few weeks in time
> for an event at which it will be launched. Do people think the emails
> will be sufficient?

Here we are agreeing 8 days of consultancy work to be organized in
close collaboration with themselves. Given the relatively limited
amount of work and the timeline on this my inclination would be to go
with the a simple email. However, if people think a written-up
contract would be better (and have one to hand) I'd be delighted to go
with that.

One last question: what's the general procedure on invoicing here? Do
we invoice one commencement of work, half-way through, at end?

Rufus