[okfn-coord] Vision notes

paula le dieu paula at ledieu.org
Wed Aug 26 13:34:10 UTC 2009

Hi All,
Apologies in delay in getting this to you.

I have pulled some notes, doodles and thoughts I have worked on since
undertaking this work. I did play around for a long time with a new "stack"
before discarding it as a red herring.

Please do not feel the need to plow through all of this. Essentially, I
spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what we were telling folks
about who we are, what we do and how we do things hence the little survey of
projects that makes up the bulk of the presentation. I confess I started
that exercise with an agenda which was to demonstrate that we are not very
good at articulating what is that we do - actually it turned out that we are
better than I thought. Instead what emerged is that we don't clearly
articulate why we do things and the impact that we aim to have with our
activities. I then became obsessed with this notion of Impact from which
emerged the key questions.

Finally at the end of the presentation are some notes and thoughts based on
2 conversations with Becky and Rufus (separately). From these conversations
I became concerned about a mismatch between what we might aspire to as a
foundation, the organisational structure we espouse and the collection of
skills we have at the core of the organisation.

Finally, a more recent concern I have is that we don't seem to have clearly
identified project champions for our activities. This may be because we
value community over individuals, it may be because all our core projects
only have one or two champions across all of them or it might be that we
just aren't very gregarious as individuals :) But this is a secondary
concern compared to the above.

See you all on Saturday.

Regards
Paula

ps. I will have a stab at an agenda for Saturday. Becky do we have a venue
yet?