[okfn-coord] Meeting Alice Taylor of Channel 4 re: WDMMG

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:19:39 UTC 2009

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for asking :)

Rufus - have you sent a thank you note to Alice yet? If not, I'll send
one tomorrow.

For the benefit of the group, Alice seemed interested in what WDMMG
was trying to achieve and keen to find ways to get her unit involved.
They haven't "done" politics yet in terms of commissioning for teens
(that's what Alice does at Ch4) and I left the meeting with the
impression that successfully engaging teens in political issues is a
kind of holy grail which is ours to quest for, if we want to.

Her commissioning budget for 2010 is all used up, but she does have
some budget for development. What that means is that we could come
back to her with a proposal for how we might develop WDMMG into a
media offering that would then be commissioned for 2011. That means
Ch4 could help fund anything from data gathering to sessions where we
brainstorm how to develop WDMMG so it appeals to Alice's core audience
of teens.

I propose to send a quick note to Alice thanking her tomorrow, and
letting her know we'll be back in touch with such a proposal
forthwith.

All the best

Becky