[okfn-coord] OKF Germany

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Dec 15 17:33:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Just a quick question for Board. As you know, we're now working with
the Open Data Network in Germany to set up an OKF Germany Group. We
are currently at the stage where we should decide ASAP how to take
this forward in terms of legal organisations. The two main choices
are:

  (1) Keep Open Data Network as affiliate/partner, and perhaps OKF's
official representative in Germany
  (2) Turn Open Data Network into a subsidary of OKF. Perhaps keeping
brand Open Data Network name/website, but effectively child
organisation to OKF.

Hard to second guess what the German organisation want. They say they
have little preference either way. They've said they'd be very proud
to be officially part of OKF (they are new at 3 months, and think
being part of OKF would make a lot of sense). But I think it would be
a waste to lose their existing brand, website and so on.

I think we should go with (2) if at all possible - i.e. turn Open Data
Network into part of OKF with its own local 'brand'. Then, it will be
easier to sign off, e.g. EU travel expenses and suchlike, as well as
take on contract work in Germany. In particular we are currently
looking at doing a German version of CKAN - and there will be funding
to pay for this. Realistically core OKF people will probably have to
work on this (Rufus, David, other future developers from our end).

If we go with (2) what are legal implications/overhead?

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator