[okfn-coord] Supporters prose

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 12:53:42 UTC 2009

Hiya

Very glad that this has gone down well.

2009/2/18 Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:

<snip>

> Yes, really nice. Only question: is it right to say invest rather than
> support in "if you decide to *invest* in the Open Knowledge"?
> (penultimate para).

The "invest" language is trying to identify the recipient of the email
as an early-adopter - the subliminal message is, "you get this where
other people don't, yet, and you'll probably have to give more support
than if a lot of people already got it and also gave their support,
but at some point in the future, you'll be vindicated as this will be
really preceived as popular and important." It also reflects the fact
that we need core funds to help us attract more core funds (eg from
grant giving agencies). But if you feel it implies too much that
people will get something financial back from putting in something
financial now, I'm happy to change to support. You know the readship a
lot better than me!

Cheers

Becky