[okfn-coord] COMMUNIA + OKCon

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Mar 30 14:14:05 UTC 2009

Just a note to let you all know - we had really encouraging feedback
about COMMUNIA + OKCon (e.g. see below for nice message from Carol
Tullo, Director @ OPSI, who took the time to write -- several others
specifically wrote after event too). Blog posts with documentation are
forthcoming. (We've already had some blogging and tweeting - Jamie
Love has blogged the COMMUNIA recommendations.)

COMMUNIA notes:
 * please all retain any relevant receipts for travel/subsistence
related to workshop
 * next event is 28-30th july 2009 in torino - we've got a budget (~4k
euros pa) for travel, accommodation and subsistence for this, and it
would be great to hear how many people might be interested in coming!

OKCon post-mortem:
 * perhaps we should have a programme committee next year
 * if working groups are up and running, would be nice for them to
suggest speakers
 * it seemed to make sense to merge open space, but in retrospect
having parallel tracks allows people to choose what they are more/less
interested in. Some of the group of people that Andrius (Worknets +
Minciu Sodas) brought seemed tangential at times, and having multiple
rooms close to each other would allow people to switch rooms, or go
what they were most interested in. several off/online comments were
really positive, but indicated a few weaker/less relevant talks in the
open space.
 * this was partly dictated by venue. (i.e. breakout room was not
close to main room.) Lets try ULU next year (as Rufus and I originally
planned, before LSE offer of free venue, which fell through), and try
early to get sponsorship from Osmosoft or similar. (Does anyone have
any other sponsorship ideas?)
 * we should definitely get wifi sorted next time.
 * suggest we should aim to start making enquiries about okcon 2010
circa 6 months in advance! (Late summer, early autumn..)
 * Suggest we have a session for pitches/talks/ideas that are
literally limited to 1-2 minutes or so. Additionally several people
asked for more provision for discussions/sessions among participants
next time - which I fully second.
 * do we want a banner?

In any case - an enormous thank you to all for organising, chairing,
facilitating and so on!

J.