[okfn-coord] Hosting for OneClickOrgs?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 4 17:57:36 UTC 2009

Sorry to not reply to your previous email (meant to but then it
slipped down the inbox).

2009/5/2 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
> Just to follow this up - it would be great to have input from people on:
>
>  a) whether or not we are interested in hosting oneclickorgs (Y/N)
>     - I think that it is an interesting project, it will be
> OSSD-compliant, and will bring good publicity to the OKF. Charles is
> writing a chapter about the project in the new O'Reilly 'Open
> Government' book - so it should have some good publicity in the
> autumn... Also I think the project could have some value at the OKF.

I think we should definitely host them for the present even without
any kind of payment though we might say -- hey are hosting costs per
annum are significant and we'd really appreciate any kind of donation
you could make now or in the future towards that. (And we also like
you to put "supported by the Open Knowledge Foundation" or similar
with a link on your site ...)

> At the moment I think they are after:
>
>  i) a Wordpress installation with a custom theme + domain name

As long as they are happy to set this up ...

>  ii) git (they currently use github)

We could do this but I don't think they really need us if they are
using github ...

>  iii) somewhere to test the first experimental versions of the service

We can give them space on dev.okfn.org but it would be kind of nice to
know what they plan to install (for example we don't really do any
rails stuff so have no ruby things installed)

> If Y to a), then:
>
>  b) on what terms?
>    - we could help them with only (i), or (i)+(ii) or (i)+(ii)+(iii)

See comments above.

>    - we could ask them to become supporters of the OKF, individually,
> and/or (later) as an institutional supporter

See comments above.

>    - we could ask them to pay for a hosting service which the OKF would provide

A definite possibility though I am a little concerned about this as it
might commit us to providing them with a certain level of service into
the future (or at least them getting upset if we don't even if nothing
legal.