[okfn-coord] Supporters Drive

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 25 19:44:38 UTC 2009

Below is the basic text for the first mail to okfn-discuss (it will
probably be basis for general mailout via okfn-announce/blogs once
annual report is ok'd). It is largely based on Becky's original text
with a few tweaks at the end.

Please give this a quick once over and let me know if this looks OK.

Also, are there any suggestions as to how a reference to annual report
should be worked in for the main okfn-announce/blog mailout? (Should
we bother?) Was thinking of adding something to end of first para
like: "As detailed in this year's annual report we have been busier
than ever with .... [insert some of the specific things we've done]"

Rufus

PS: I'm getting a link to www.okfn.org/support/ added to bottom of our
pledgebank text ...

### Mailout Text

For the past five years, the Open Knowledge Foundation has promoted
the free dissemination of information - from sonnets to statistics,
genes to geodata. During that time, we have run projects that have
allowed Shakespeare and Milton to enjoy a rebirth in the digital
public domain, begun the huge task of cataloging public domain sound
recordings, and opened a raft of economic and historical material.

We've developed tools, services, setup standards and run events which
have benefited the wider open knowledge community: Knowledgeforge
stores the data for theyworkforyou and publicwhip, the Open Knowledge
Definition provides a standard for what "openness" is, Open Data
Commons is developing the data license to be used by Open Street Map,
and our workshops and annual Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon) brings
together individuals and organizations from across the Open Knowledge
Spectrum.

We will always be a not-for-profit organisation, built on the work of
passionate volunteers. But by making a small investment in our
infrastructure, we believe we can make this work go much, much
further. To this end our target is to raise £10,000 a year based on
regular donations. If you'd like to support us in this effort please
sign up to our pledge:

<http://www.pledgebank.org/support-okfn/>

Or donate directly at:

<http://www.okfn.org/support/>