[okfn-coord] Fwd: Proposal

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:49:54 UTC 2009

Hi Rufus

This is a really interesting development, thanks for forwarding this email.

My reading of the situation chimes with yours. It's quite possible
that 4IP saw our application and went to MySociety to suggest they
approach us, perhaps because they think the project is ambitious
(we've admitted so ourselves in the initial application) and had a
better chance of succeeding if executed in partnership with MySoc. If
that's true (I wonder if Paula, you could get a view on this, I think
you're planning to speak to 4IP soon?) then it's highly unlikely that
we will get the funding by ourselves now.

Of course, partnering with MySociety will be excellent for the profile
of the project, and they also have good resources to offer, not least
in the shape of a full time ED like Tom. But there is a risk that OKFN
as an organisation loses out on getting the profile attached to the
project in favour of MySociety.

I guess that to mitigate against that we should be clear about what we
are offering any partnership from the off. What can we offer here? The
OKFN stack? The relationships we have and the funding we have
associated with this project from the work we've done so far? A
platform for launch in the shape of OKCon? Should we also stipulate
that some of the staff roles we indicate in the budget report to the
OKF executive group (and is this plausible, given none of us is full
time?)? Are there specific roles for each organisation that we can
agree while we're drafting a revised, and upscaled, application?

Speed may well be of the essence here - one way forward would be to
meet with Tom and thrash out these issues directly, he should
understand our concerns about the project contributing to OKFN's
profile more generally, and should also welcome the idea of a
diversity of organisations in this space - this shouldn't be a
competition! I'd love to be involved in such a meeting, but of course
I'm on holiday from tomorrow until 21 September.