[okfn-coord] SXSW and ETech for outreach

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Sat Sep 12 18:52:09 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about one of our goals of being more well known in
the US.  What does everyone think about getting into SXSW interactive?
Rufus and I were chatting on the phone this morning and I suggested
this and Rufus immediately also suggested ETech.

What does everyone think?

Both could be a good platform for getting the word out on our projects
and meeting like minded people.  I'm happy to go, though if someone
else is better suited I'll help with places to stay and some contacts
among the Austin scene for SXSW.  Anyone have any thoughts on either
one of these events?  Despite living in Austin for several years, I
never submitted or did much with SXSWi so any thoughts or insights
would be great (on or off list).

I sent some feelers out to people in Austin that I was on the board
with at EFF-Austin, and so will see what they come back with.

I also pinged Talis on it and I think they submitted something to
SXSWi and may be up for sponsorship for travel.  On the costs side, I
think it would be just airfare as the conference registration may be
free for speakers.

For ETech, I did a search and looked around the O'Reilly site, but it
looked to me that it might not be happening next year, so it might be
a no-go anyway.

Jo, you and Rufus did ETech right? Any thoughts on the process?

Any other conference or events in the US we should be targeting?

Thanks

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM