[foundation-board] Fwd: Continuing on the OKF Board?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Aug 23 13:35:57 UTC 2010

On 23 August 2010 14:01, Becky Hogge <becky.hogge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Per our f2f meeting earlier this month, I have contacted Paula and
> invited her to reaffirm her commitment to the Board. I'm delighted to
> report that she has responded in the positive (see below).
>
> Welcome back, Paula!
>
> Rufus, you took an action to lay out the next year's worth of Board
> meetings in the OKF calendar - is this now done? Are the meetings
> showing the up-to-date ones?

I've just added these now altered calendar to have board meetings on a
quarterly basis based on 2nd tuesday of every month (was 3rd tuesday
but looking at dec thought this was bad so moved to 2nd Tuesday -- if
this is a problem for people please say!)

Meeting are currently listed in the general OKFN Public Calendar which
is shown, for example, here:

http://okfn.org/calendar/

> [...]
>

> Hello :)
> I confess I have been following in the background all the fantastic
> things that have been going on with OKFN - a fabulous win for you all
> and a complete turnaround from the financial and project profile of
> last year.
> I would be delighted to stay involved. It sounds as if the new
> structure could work much better for me as I can formally secure a
> quarterly commitment with work. It is now a year at the BFI and I hope
> that I will be able to come out of the rabbit hole a bit more ...
> although balance has never been one of my strengths I would like to
> try and once again engage with the wider world.
> Thanks for sticking with me - very grateful for the Board's ongoing support.
>

> On 13 August 2010 11:53, Becky Hogge <becky.hogge at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Paula
>>
>> It's such a shame you missed the face-to-face Board meeting yesterday
>> - I think you would have loved to be there. It's seems strange that
>> only last year we were talking about in the abstract what this year's
>> come seriously to fruition.
>>
>> I have been asked to write to you and ask whether you still want to be
>> on the Board of Directors. When you joined, you showed us what a great
>> contribution you could make to OKF, and everyone on the Board would
>> still really value your participation. You warned us when you started
>> your new job that it would take you out of action, and so this email
>> is partly to ask whether that period is now over, and partly to say,
>> even though it feels like it's been a long time, we'd love to have you
>> back :)
>>
>> In terms of how the Board's operating, changes are afoot. We've
>> elected to strip back the role of the Board to its formal functions,
>> and to move Board meetings to a quarterly framework. We've spotted
>> ways to improve internal processes so that Board members are in
>> receipt of management accounts and activity reports ahead of meetings.
>> A new Project Coordination committee, which Jo Walsh is chairing, has
>> been established out of project leads picked from various activities
>> around the network, and is emerging as the kind of collaborative
>> governance space that I think suits the vision of OKF's founders,
>> without compromising the financial and legal health of an organisation
>> that now has around £100K in the bank. At this year's f2f meeting, we
>> voted to make around £5K available to the coordination committee as an
>> experimental funding pot - possibly even as seed money for a
>> micro-loan system - to see how they might establish processes for
>> distributing OKF's operating surplus to projects less likely to
>> receive direct funding.
>>
>> There should be really exciting times ahead, and we would all really
>> welcome your expertise as we see how these changes pan out. What do
>> you think? The next meeting is on 21 September, with following
>> meetings in December, March 2011 and June 2011.

Open Knowledge Foundation