[foundation-board] an interesting potential coordinator

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 18:04:20 UTC 2010

On 27/08/2010 18:06, Becky Hogge wrote:
> On 26 August 2010 18:38, Jo Walsh<metazool at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> Thoughts?

> suggestion would be that we continue with the recruitment process ...
> we will also have other options, not to mention an open and fair
> process, too.

I wonder what "fair" means here; if Mark were to pipe up and shape up,
and he seemed to be doing a pretty good job, would it be fair to ask
other people to interview who we were certain it was unlikely we would
give the job to unless their behaviour was really startling.

Well, it is best not to assume anything, i would say see where we are in
2 or 3 weeks when we have seen some work and come to review it.

I have also been thinking: is it really of benefit to give ad-hoc
project management work to a coordinator; rather could we focus
recruitment effort on finding really appropriate people to manage
projects? And be in a position to offer a few people part-time work, one
or two days a week.

One thing that occurs to me after looking at the task list is that a bit
of a push on sysadmin work, for example, could really save time and
effort expended in the future. We could think about hiring an
infrastructure co-ordinator, say, at 2 days a week for a few months.
That could save effort on the part of Rufus Will James etc that would
regain more than value of investment in sysadmin, in their increased
focus on interesting project work...

I want to keep the projects coordinator position quite part-time,
probably no more than 2 days a week, and wonder how much interviewing
etc it is worth for that, compared to the usual way in which OKF hires
people, e.g., someone turns up on IRC, someone is recommended by someone
we have worked with, they show some stuff, they are taken on a
probationary basis for a while, they pick up more work. This is how Will
was hired, how coders generally seem to be hired.

We could still have an open call for people - e.g. "if you are
interested in working with us please send us your CV and we will keep
you in mind for project work we have coming up, and please come and talk
to us on IRC", that would be reasonably open, i don't know if it would
be more fair, what is fair?

jo