[foundation-board] Request for board approval to start working towards OKF Austria

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Thu Nov 11 18:27:35 UTC 2010

On 10 Nov 2010, at 13:18, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> Brilliant -- if others are able to give +/- 1s at their earliest
> convenience, then I can let them know ASAP.
>
> James? Jordan? Ian? Martin? Paula? Rufus?

Just FYI same day responses from me are less likely these days, though I will try to get to OKF stuff at least once a day.

I think that as part of any chapter process we:

-- need to ensure that there is a community *before granting a legal entity / formal chapter

This is (to me) is for lots of reasons:

-- lots of people think that they want a chapter when they don't really need one yet
-- lots of people will think that it's a good idea to do a chapter without any idea of the commitment involved to keep a legal entity going.  we need to separate the wheat from the chaff here
-- by letting a community in a certain country simmer for a bit through such things as meetups and a mailing list we can make sure that:
---- the people involved are committed
---- the people involved are the "right" people (as in there is a wide crossection and we aren't favouring one group needlessly over another)
---- we can identify if the suggested chapter coverage area matches the suggested community (such as if an "italian chapter" was all from the north of italy, will the southern italians want their own chapter?  basque or catalan in spain? etc)
-- I also think we need to digest the budding german chapter and learn some lessons on how to improve the process before jumping on a whole bunch more (italians included)

there are more reasons that need to be distilled and paula and i to discuss.

bottom line -- i suggest telling them to chill for a bit and establish a mailing list and regular meetups first.

~Jordan