[foundation-board] Request for board approval to start working towards OKF Austria

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Mon Nov 15 18:11:38 UTC 2010

On 12 Nov 2010, at 09:58, Jo Walsh wrote:

> On 11/11/2010 18:27, Jordan S Hatcher wrote:
>> -- need to ensure that there is a community *before granting a legal
>> entity / formal chapter
>
> "Chapter" doesn't necessarily imply legal entity, or am I missing something?

Respectfully, yes this does miss something.

This is a group of people acting in the name of the company on whose board of directors we sit. This group of people could be doing anything, including from the well-meaning-but-legally-problematic (fundraising, entering into contracts) to the dishonest and fraudulent (theft) and some stuff in-between, like totally misrepresenting what the OKF is about and generally causing problems because people don't know if they represent us or not.

> OSGeo has a lot of chapters, a few have legal entities, most don't.

We are not OSGeo.  I don't care what they do and I don't have any sense of whether they are a well run or effective organisation on which we should base the OKF model on their model.

I care about what the OKF does, and if we are going to empower autonomous groups of people, unincorporated or incorporated, off in various foreign lands, then I am of the opinion that we need to have a modicum of control over them and some established norms and rules about how they behave. That opinion seems to be shared by the board, which is why one of the action items from the last board meeting is for Paula and I to discuss and to report back at the next board meeting in December.

The situation with certain people claiming that they represent the OKF in a related thread is but one example of why we should think about who gets to represent us and have a process.

This is all good for discussion but in some degree is moot as we've already voted as a board to establish a chapters process involving a transition of supporters into formal legal entities.  When Paula and I report back to the board we can have a further discussion then.

Thanks

~Jordan