[foundation-board] Modelling employment costs

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Mon Aug 22 18:49:58 UTC 2011

Hi Jason

Thanks for doing this -- very helpful.  I have a few questions/comments below.

For reference, your overview modelled the first round of potential employees as being:

• Martin K
• Jason
• Jonathan
• Kat
• Lucy

Do you have any thoughts on :

* what guidelines we should have in place on who becomes an employee or not initially?
* what guidelines we should have in place on who becomes an employee or not generally?

I think we should have a policy around this, especially given Martin's board position,  which may raise some eyebrows if we make him an employee and not others.  Purely by FTE, our people above 0.5 FTW are:

Adria Mercader			CKAN	1
Friedrich Lindenberg		CKAN, LOD2, OpenSpending	1
Lucy Chambers			Core, CKAN, OpenSpending	1
Tim McNamara			Open Gov Data	0.9
James Gardner			CKAN	0.8
John Glover				CKAN	0.8
Jonathan Gray			Core, LOD2	0.8
David Raznick			CKAN	0.8
Martin Keegan			OpenSpending	0.7
Irina Bolychevsky			CKAN	0.6
Daniel Dietrich			Core, OKF-DE, OKCon, ePSIplatform	0.6
Jason Kitcat				Core, LOD2, ePSIplatform	0.6

On the financials,

* It looks like the models are based around the employment costs equivalent to maintaining paying people the same day rate, except as salary.  Typically being employed reflects a decrease in gross earnings per day over being a consultant due to the other advantages one gets as an employee (statutory leave, maternity/paternity leave, etc).  Do you have any thoughts on this difference in your model and how we might do budgeting here?

* What about salary increases?

* Would you be able to indicate which country people reside in inside the model so that we can scope out the issue of any international concerns?

* Could you perhaps indicate anyone that has expressed a strong interest in not becoming an employee to date?

* Perhaps our accountants could give some advice or materials on modelling costs here?

* Do you have any thoughts on fixed term contracts versus permanent employees as we get started?

* I think we need to have a statement explaining the advantages/disadvantages of employment here in order to take a decision on this as a board.  If we could start to record this in the wiki, it would be helpful.

Thanks

Jordan