[foundation-board] Does OKF want to go for data.gov.eu tender?

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:46:49 UTC 2011

Jonny, found an unfinished draft of response to your last mail about
this. In short; the overlap with current OKF work looks significant, and
if you are getting approaches for partnerships already, then it makes
sense to me to go for this, however with caveats...

On 01/02/2011 20:18, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> a data.gov.eu tender
>    * work is already underway as part of the publicdata.eu work

> I would be happy to lead work on a tender

These things can be a *huge* workload, a commitment of several months of
your life at least to European grant-writing. Would OKF necessarily be
the lead in a consortium, or would someone else take it on?
Do you have advice about putting these things together? Worth talking it
over with Soeren Auer, who has a lot of experience here?

>    * we have the capacity to deliver well on this
>    * we manage this carefully and have a strong vision about why we are
> doing this and how we want to do it
> we need to start thinking long and hard now!

Imagine we'd need to find project partners who would handle maintenance
and support work, OKF's role would be more networking / prototyping?

> The recognised and widely used European
> access point to government information.
> a pilot data.gov.eu infrastructure

So a cautious yes...