[foundation-board] Does OKF want to go for data.gov.eu tender?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Feb 10 01:10:33 UTC 2011

Jo: To clarify In my mind there is *no* possible world in which we
could lead on this tender, it would have to be led by a *highly*
trusted partner, and we'd most likely be part of a group. In a way we
would want a large group that we trusted could do this very very well,
and that would be able to do lots of things on this to leave us to do
what we are best at, and what we want to do most (to be determined?).
Hence the urgency in getting sign off to start this process.

Jason: re: busy-ness/capacity:  indeed. I would be happy to lead on
the tender, on our end. I'd be available to work on the project
insofar as my new 3 day week (currently 5 days crammed into 3, or
trying to be 3 days and failing very very miserably) would allow.
Anticipate lots of overlap with my work on LOD2. Indeed if this came
through would suggest moving bits of my work from LOD2 to this, and
reshuffling LOD2 budget to focus on other stuff (e.g. more
demonstrators like energy.publicdata.eu). To be honest if we did this
our focus on LOD2 might have to change a lot (obviously depending on
timing). Re: coders we are trying to bring other people on. The HR
spreadsheet might (eventually) be able to give us an indication here.
We may need more project management capacity, as I'm not sure but we
may wish to save the amazingness of you for keeping our own house in
order (as in a way I suspect OKF PM is a more difficult thing
requiring a more unusual and nuanced skill-set).

If we decide to do this, from an operational perspective, I'd like to
propose that we treat relevant parts of LOD2 (publicdata.eu and
associated work) with the highest priority that we can afford,
notwithstanding things like OKCon (which are *obviously* ultimately
more important). ;-)

I'm going to attempt to clock off into world of books until Monday. It
would be *amazing* if we had board consensus on this before then so I
can hit this hard first thing next week. If I can be helpful with
anything I'm on +4915773939765. (You should all have my Berlin #
anyway - just in case you need it!)

J.